When we say we believe in sanctification, what do we mean? What do we believe and reject? The following information from the PCA is helpful.
‘Article I – Legalism is a Real Problem
- We affirm that legalism is a dangerous problem….
‘Article II – The Gospel and Total Depravity
- We affirm that unregenerate man, being totally depraved, is unable….
‘Article III – The Gospel Includes Sanctification
- We affirm that the gospel provides salvation for the whole man….
‘Article IV – Union with Christ and Sanctification
- We affirm that both justification and sanctification are distinct….
‘Article V – Gratitude and Motivation
- We affirm that gratitude for justification is a powerful….
‘Article VI-Good Works not Merit
- We affirm that believers are not under the Law….
‘Article VII – Adoption and Sanctification
- We affirm that through the finished work of Christ believers are adopted….
‘Article VIII – Effort and Sanctification
- We affirm that God-glorifying, Christ-centered….
‘Article IX – Faith and Sanctification
- We affirm that growth in the Christian life comes through faith….
‘Article X – Preaching the Imperatives
- We affirm that faithful preaching of the Law for use in the Christian life….
‘Article XI – Sanctification and Assurance
- We affirm that Christians gain assurance of salvation by cherishing the promise….
‘Article XII – Sanctification and Victory
- We affirm that Christians can and should experience victories over sin….’
-Read it all here.
Earning vs effort: grace, justification, and sanctification
Ân điển, chứ không phải những quy tắc / Grace not rules